Rowena Cory Daniells writes for both children and adults. Her new Fantasy series ‘King Rolen’s Kin’ will be published by SOLARIS in 2010.
1. King Rolen’s Kin will be released From Solaris in July, August and September this year. What can you tell us about these books?
This is the kind of series that you read on a Saturday afternoon after you’ve worked hard all week and you just want to be swept away to another world!
2. Since the last Snapshot, you have completed an MA in creative writing. What did you get out of the experience? Are you glad that you did it?
Turns out it was a Masters in Arts Research. I met a great bunch of fellow writers, wrote a book and discovered that I hate academic writing. Two out of three isn’t bad.
3. What’s next for Rowena Cory Daniells? What are you working on now, and what are your career goals for the next five years?
I have the first books of 4 new series with my agent. I’m a ‘serial lover’ — I fall in love with each book series as I write it, love it, love the world and the characters passionately then I send them off to my agent and, rather than pine for them, I start another series, which I fall in love with. Ideally, I’d like to know that those series have a publisher to call home and a readership looking forward to reading them, as much as I look forward to writing them!
4. Which Australian writers or work would you like to see on the Hugo shortlists this year?
I’m a big fan of Glenda Larke’s work. I don’t think she gets the recognition she deserves. I’d call her the Thinking Fantasy reader’s writer, just as I’d call Marianne de Pierres the thinking SF reader’s writer.
5. Are you planning to go to Aussiecon 4 in September? If so, what are you most looking forward to?
I wouldn’t miss AussieCon 4. I plan to catch up with old friends and make lots of new friends.